Friday, October 26, 2012

my five faves -- cari fennell/prima weekend

Cari Fennell from Prima was in Cornwall last weekend. I was lucky enough to take two great classes with her.

Here are my five favourite things from that weekend.

1. Cari

She's talented. She's funny. She's humble. She's also very tall. ;-)

I've taken three classes by Cari (so far) and, in every class, I've learned a new technique and surprised myself. I credit Cari with giving me creative confidence that helps me become a better scrapbooker. Thank you Cari for inspiring me!
2. Prima

We all know Prima has the best flowers. Cari's students got a great selection of some pretty yummy pretties.
Prima also has great wood embellishments, wonderful note cards and beautiful collections. We got to play with the new Firefly collection. Isn't it delicious?
 
3. Techniques

I used modelling paste with stencils on two layouts and a few art journal pages. I played with gesso. I painted and stamped with gelatos. I coloured with Pan Pastels. I painted in an art journal.

It was intimidating. I got messy.
I loved it (even though it took a while to get there).

4. Friends

I always love seeing Emma, Laura, Lorena and Kiki -- new friends who will surely become divas in no time. I also met Kristy and her mom who are on the diva fast track.

Although we didn't sit together, it's always good to see my girls!
Kat, Diane, me, Sarah and Sylvie
5. Surprise and Delight

For me, the best classes are the ones where I learn something new and discover I'm good at it. I keep looking at my projects from Cari's classes and think "Wow! I did that!"

In the Saturday morning class, I made two beautiful layouts. Cari showed me how to use modelling paste with a stencil to create texture. How cool is that?

In the Sunday class, we worked on an art journal. I'll admit I'm not bad at misting and I was having a great time misting the cover with Adirondack's sunset orange, denim and cranberry color washes. Then, we started painting. I didn't love what I created, but Cari showed me how to build and blend the colours. In the end, I thought the pages I created were very me. By the second page, I let go of expectations and created pages that, even though they're not quite finished, are kinda wonderful.

 
Misting with Heidi Swapp's new colour shine, stamping with gelatos and colouring with Pan Pastels were a little easier for me. And I really like the results!
 
 In the end, there was delight.
I hope you have time to play in your craft room!
 

2 comments:

  1. You are right! Your pages are kinda wonderful! And you found the perfect photos for those layouts. Love how intimidated you look when you got started, but the glee on your face at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the process- it was so cool to share it with you! I so love the last pic of you - what a great smile!! :)

    ReplyDelete