Saturday, January 18, 2014

my five faves -- takin' it easy

It's no secret that I have quite a few layouts to scrapbook and that I dedicate enough time to try and get through them all. I do manage to finish quite a few layouts because I have a few tricks that make the process of scrapbooking a little easier.

Here are are five ways I try to simplify that process.

1. Sketches

I do love me a good sketch. Sometimes my layout looks exactly like the sketch and sometimes the sketch serves as inspiration.

I've long felt like less of a scrapbooker because of my dependence on sketches. But I've decided to give myself permission to use them and focus my creativity on the techniques, colour combinations, beautiful papers and embellishments. Plus, they do simplify the scrapbooking process.
Source: January 2014 PageMaps
2. Kits
When my photos come back from the printer, I add them to the pile with the accompanying sketch. When I want to scrapbook them, I usually find the papers, embellishments and letter stickers I want to use so I can create my own kit.

I love my kits for two reasons:

1) Preparing kits gets me into a creative frame of mind long before I'm actually creating, and
2) When it's time to scrapbook, I just pull out my kit and immediately start scrapbooking. Easy peasy.
So much deliciousness just begging to be scrapped!
3. Paper Collections
Those who know me know that I'm not very adept at putting colours together. I can manage to pull together a monochromatic palette on my own, but otherwise I'm totally lost. Paper collections have done that work for me.
Color Wash 6 x 6 Paper Pad
Source: Pink Paislee

4. Friends
I love scrapbooking with friends. Not only are there laughs and great conversations, but they also provide motivation. It's very hard not to be productive when surrounded by scrappy friends! They are so talented that I always get great advice (especially when it comes to colour...), but I am also inspired by them, and their scrapbooking approaches, techniques and styles. I can only thank them by being generous with my time and my enormous washi tape collection. :-)
Some of my scrappy friends at a CTMH workshop. Please ignore the glass of wine...
5. Organization
When things are tucked away where they should be, it's much easier to grab the supplies you need to create a wonderful layout (or realize you need to rush to the store to pick up what's missing). Of course, my scrap space is never tidy and organized, but these small solutions help. My space is so cluttered right now, there's absolutely no space for me to scrapbook.
So easy to just grab what I need when my embellies are so well organized.
Hope you enjoyed this post. Now on to scrappy goodness!

1 comments: